On a recent evening in Rome, Bulgari announced American model of the moment Bella Hadid as the face of their new fragrance Goldea, The Roman Night. CEO Jean-Christophe Babin introduced Hadid as she walked down Rome’s iconic Spanish Steps as “The Goddess of the Roman Night? Goldea Hadid!”.
My love of fragrance first developed from my love of essential oils and aromatherapy. In my younger years, I had numerous little brown bottles of various oil which I would use to make my own blends. Last Thursday at the Pamper & Style event in the Tower Hotel, I meet Orla from Salon an Oir who introduced me to the brand doTerra. I was seriously impressed not only with the brand which she uses both personally and in her salon but also her in depth knowledge of essential oils.
The ‘Oscars’ of the perfume world The Fragrance Foundation Awards 2017 were held last Thursday 18th May at The Brewery London. People from throughout the industry came together to celebrate fragrance in all it’s glory. The winners received a beautiful award created by French company Lalique, experts in all things crystal. And so, the winners are:
Last Sunday myself and a few friends attended a charity event Get The Girls Out sponsored by Tom Murphy Car Sales, an Afternoon Tea & Fashion Show at Faithlegg House Hotel to raise awareness of Breast Cancer. What made this event so special? The models were all Breast Cancer survivors and were so inspirational they made a great day, a fantastic day.
Last year Clarins released limited edition versions of its iconic Hand & Nail Treatment Cream (according to Clarins, one Hand and Nail Treatment Cream is sold every 30 seconds worldwide). Following on from their huge success, this year they are back with three new limited editions; Grapefruit Leaf, Mandarin Leaf and Lemon Leaf.
Kildare Village is home to more than 80 Irish & international fashion & lifestyle brands including the new Penhaligons store which I visited last week. In fact it is the only Penhaligons store in Ireland. Founded by English barber William Penhaligon, each store contains 38 unusual & distinctive fragrances, bath, body & grooming products, candles and gifts.
“We strive to create original scents for the discerning eccentrics of today”
The Penhaligons store in Kildare Village is visually stunning, dark wood and glass cabinets, mirrored tables showcasing the products to perfection with enchanting displays. The store is warm and inviting and encourages exploration.
Some suggested fragrances to explore:
- Hammam Bouquet (1872) – the 1st scent, a gents floriental inspired by the steam from the Turkish baths in London with Turkish Rose, Jasmine, Woods, Musk & Orris.
- Blenheim Bouquet (1902) – so named after Blenheim Palace, a gents fragrance with Citrus, Spice & Wood notes.
- English Fern (1910) – inspired by “rain freshened English forest” contains Clover, Lavender, Geranium, Woods, Patchouli and Moss.
- Bluebell (1978) – containing Hyacinths, Citrus notes, Rose, Jasmine, Clove, Cinnamon & Galbanum, Penhaligons describe this ladies scent as a “walk through sun dappled spring woodland”.
- Artemisia (2002) – a ladies scent inspired by the romantic tales of Greek Mythology and named after the Goddess of the Hunt, Artemis. Orchid Fruits, Green Foliage, Jasmine, Violets, Lily of the Valley, Vanilla and Amber.
- Endymion (2003) – a gents scent named after Endymion, the son of Zeus who was placed into a perpetual slumber by the Goddess of the Moon so that she could gaze upon him. Mandarin, Sage, Lavender, Resins, Nutmeg, Cardamom and Coffee.
- Sartorial (2010) – a fougere scent for gentleman and described as an “illustration of a tailor’s workroom”, it contains Lavender and Tonka Bean.
- Juniper Sling (2011) – London Dry Gin in a gents scent, it contains Juniper, Black Pepper, Cardamom, Brown Sugar and Amber.
- Vaara (2013) – so named for the granddaughter of His Royal Highness Maharaja Gaj Singh II, this gents fragrance combines Coriander, Saffron, Juicy Quince, Roses, Magnolia, Honey, White Musks and Tonka Bean.
- Iris Prima (2013) – a collaboration with the English National Ballet, a scent for ladies with Citrus, Iris, Jasmine Sambac and Musky Leather notes.
- Equinox Bloom (2016) – the first gourmand fragrance by Penhaligons, this ladies fragrance is based on the tradition of afternoon tea. Frangipani, Brown Sugar, Violet Leaves, Orange Blossom, Jasmine Sambac, Benzoin Siam and Ambrox.
My purchase on the day was the delicately citrus scented Quercus Hand & Nail Lotion with grapeseed oil to strengthen nails and sweet almond oil & cocoa seed butter to keep hands soft and protected. As it is Kildare Village it was two for €30, one for me & one for my mum!
While I did ask permission before taking the photos, Carrie the instore expert did not know I was planning on writing this post. Carrie was both friendly and knowledgeable without being intrusive and having worked in retail for over 16 years, I was really impressed. My purchase was wrapped in tissue paper scented with the Quercus scent and I received three samples to try: Iris Prima as mentioned previously, Levantium a rich warm and woody Oud and the floral Gardenia.
So next time you find yourself on the doorstep of Kildare Village, make sure you pay a visit to Penhaligons – highly recommended.
Follow LilyandOlive on:
Facebook : LilyandOlive
Twitter : @OKaneShirley
Today is the celebration of International Fragrance Day. Certain fragrances I will always associate with certain people; my mum and Chanel No5, my gran and Helena Rubinstein Apple Blossom, my good friend Celine and Donna Karan Cashmere Mist. While I personally have over 30 fragrances in my collection, I have chosen my top 10 favourites to celebrate today.
- Chanel No5 Eau Premiere – While I will forever associate No5 as my mum’s fragrance, a few years ago I discovered the Eau Premiere version which opened my mind to this fragrance. Softer than the original, I first wore this fragrance the day of my goddaughter’s Christening and now whenever I wear it, I think of her.
- Chanel Coco Mademoiselle – Mademoiselle was the 1st Chanel fragrance I every wore. I love this fragrance and my friends know it! Not only do I have the fragrance, I have the Body Cream, Body Lotion, Shower Gel and Body Oil.
- Lancome La Vie Est Belle – This fragrance is universally loved. Various versions have been released over the last few years so there is a La Vie Est Belle to suit every taste. For me it has to be the Eau de Parfum version.
- Hermes Jour D’Hermes – This 2013 release is one of my favourite of recent years. It is a stunning floral fragrance, perfect for day time wear.
- Prada Infusion d’Iris – I spotted this travel collection in the airport travelling from Italy a few years ago. This silver case with 3 refills is perfect for the handbag to refresh throughout the day.
D&G L’Imperatrice 3 – Part of the Anthology collection, inspired by tarot cards. When I discovered this fragrance was being discontinued, I purchased a further 2 bottles to ensure I wouldn’t run out for a few years!
- D&G Pour Femme Intense – This fragrance is sensual and warmth personified. If it was a colour it would be an intense shade of deep red. Wearing it makes me feel 6ft tall which is quite an achievement as I’m only 5ft.
- Dior J’Adore L’Or – I found this on special offer a few years ago and it was an impulse purchase. Warmer and more oriental than the original, I get compliments every time I wear it.
- Body Shop White Musk – One of the first fragrances I bought as a teenager on a trip to Dublin, I bought my first bottle in the store on Henry Street. I still keep a bottle and wear occasinally if for nothing more than nostalgia.
- Nuxe Body Relaxing Fragrance Water – My fragrance for today. This is the fragrance I wear when I’m at home, going for a walk with the dog etc. It is my downtime fragrance and goes hand in hand with my purple cosy throw.
Happy International Fragrance Day