Kildare Village is home to more than 80 Irish & international fashion & lifestyle brands including the new Penhaligons store which I visited last week. In fact it is the only Penhaligons store in Ireland. Founded by English barber William Penhaligon, each store contains 38 unusual & distinctive fragrances, bath, body & grooming products, candles and gifts.
“We strive to create original scents for the discerning eccentrics of today”
The Penhaligons store in Kildare Village is visually stunning, dark wood and glass cabinets, mirrored tables showcasing the products to perfection with enchanting displays. The store is warm and inviting and encourages exploration.
Some suggested fragrances to explore:
- Hammam Bouquet (1872) – the 1st scent, a gents floriental inspired by the steam from the Turkish baths in London with Turkish Rose, Jasmine, Woods, Musk & Orris.
- Blenheim Bouquet (1902) – so named after Blenheim Palace, a gents fragrance with Citrus, Spice & Wood notes.
- English Fern (1910) – inspired by “rain freshened English forest” contains Clover, Lavender, Geranium, Woods, Patchouli and Moss.
- Bluebell (1978) – containing Hyacinths, Citrus notes, Rose, Jasmine, Clove, Cinnamon & Galbanum, Penhaligons describe this ladies scent as a “walk through sun dappled spring woodland”.
- Artemisia (2002) – a ladies scent inspired by the romantic tales of Greek Mythology and named after the Goddess of the Hunt, Artemis. Orchid Fruits, Green Foliage, Jasmine, Violets, Lily of the Valley, Vanilla and Amber.
- Endymion (2003) – a gents scent named after Endymion, the son of Zeus who was placed into a perpetual slumber by the Goddess of the Moon so that she could gaze upon him. Mandarin, Sage, Lavender, Resins, Nutmeg, Cardamom and Coffee.
- Sartorial (2010) – a fougere scent for gentleman and described as an “illustration of a tailor’s workroom”, it contains Lavender and Tonka Bean.
- Juniper Sling (2011) – London Dry Gin in a gents scent, it contains Juniper, Black Pepper, Cardamom, Brown Sugar and Amber.
- Vaara (2013) – so named for the granddaughter of His Royal Highness Maharaja Gaj Singh II, this gents fragrance combines Coriander, Saffron, Juicy Quince, Roses, Magnolia, Honey, White Musks and Tonka Bean.
- Iris Prima (2013) – a collaboration with the English National Ballet, a scent for ladies with Citrus, Iris, Jasmine Sambac and Musky Leather notes.
- Equinox Bloom (2016) – the first gourmand fragrance by Penhaligons, this ladies fragrance is based on the tradition of afternoon tea. Frangipani, Brown Sugar, Violet Leaves, Orange Blossom, Jasmine Sambac, Benzoin Siam and Ambrox.
My purchase on the day was the delicately citrus scented Quercus Hand & Nail Lotion with grapeseed oil to strengthen nails and sweet almond oil & cocoa seed butter to keep hands soft and protected. As it is Kildare Village it was two for €30, one for me & one for my mum!
While I did ask permission before taking the photos, Carrie the instore expert did not know I was planning on writing this post. Carrie was both friendly and knowledgeable without being intrusive and having worked in retail for over 16 years, I was really impressed. My purchase was wrapped in tissue paper scented with the Quercus scent and I received three samples to try: Iris Prima as mentioned previously, Levantium a rich warm and woody Oud and the floral Gardenia.
So next time you find yourself on the doorstep of Kildare Village, make sure you pay a visit to Penhaligons – highly recommended.
Follow LilyandOlive on:
Facebook : LilyandOlive
Twitter : @OKaneShirley